Sunday, June 5, 2011

Spaghetti and Meatballs

This was delicious tonight!!  It takes a long time to simmer, and I could hardly wait for it to be done, and it didn't disappoint.  The kids really liked it also.  We've been so bored with store bought spaghetti sauce, and John has been asking for a nice thick sauce, and this delivered!

The meatballs were fantastic.  I've never made them before, and generally I'm not a huge fan, but I I found it hard to resist picking leftovers off the kids plates as I was cleaning up.  :)

This takes almost 2 1/2 hours to cook because of simmering time, so be sure you start it plenty early.  I may try this in the crock pot...


SAUCE
  • 3/4 cup onion, chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 (28 oz) cans whole peeled tomatoes (I used 1 (14.5 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, 1 (14.5 oz) can sliced stewed tomatoes,  1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes, and 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes)
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 bay leaf (I used two)
  • 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
  • 3/4 tsp dried basil
  • (I chose to add some Italian seasoning too)
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
MEATBALLS

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 cup fresh bread crumbs (I used crushed Ritz crackers)
  • 1 TBS dried parsley
  • 1 TBS grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 egg, beaten
  1. In large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent.  Add whole tomatoes, salt, sugar, and bay leaf.  Cover, reduce heat to low, and allow to simmer 90 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan cheese, black pepper and egg.  Mix well and form into 12 balls.  (At this point I opted to coat them in flour seasoned with Italian seasonings and pan fry them in olive oil).  Store covered in the refrigerator until needed.
  3. After sauce has simmered 90 minutes, add tomato paste, basil, black pepper, and meatballs, and simmer an additional 30 minutes.  Serve.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment