Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Apple Dumplings



My general rule of thumb is:

If there's no chocolate, it's not dessert.

This is one of the few exceptions to this rule. 

I'd never made, or even had apple dumplings before, but I thought I'd try out this recipe for family night the other day.  Turned out delicious.  Pretty easy to make, too!  I'll make this one next time we have company over. 

  • 2 granny smith apples, peeled and cored (I used Honeycut apples)
  • 2 (10 oz) crescent dough packages (I used one crescent dough, and one biscuit dough)
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar (I used 1 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar)
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon (I used 1 1/2 tsp)
  • 1 (12oz) can mountain dew (I used ginger ale)
  • Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease a 9x13" baking dish.
  2. Cut each apple into 8 wedges and set aside. 
  3. Seperate dough into triangles.  Roll each apple wedge in a roll, starting at the small end.  Pinch to seal edges, and place in dish.
  4. In a saucepan, melt butter, and stir in sugar and cinnamon.  Pour over dumplings.  Pour soda over dumplings.  Bake 35-45 minutes, until golden brown.  Serve warm, top with ice cream or whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment