Thursday, July 1, 2010

Aussie Chicken

OOOhhhh, I made this tonight and I think I've died and gone to heaven...or maybe I'm just in a fat-induced coma, but either way, I'm liken it here. :)

This one wasn't too kid-friendly, but I enjoyed it. Plus I had a lot of fun making it...kids in the back yard playing (nicely), the first monsoon storm rolling in, baby sound asleep in the next room, it was just nice, so I didn't mind that it took a little longer to prepare.

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
  • 2 tsp seasoning salt (I actually used worchestershire sauce)
  • 6 slices bacon, cut in half
  • 1/2 cup prepared yellow mustard (I used dijon instead, but next time I want to try plain yellow)
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup (I didn't add this)
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 TBS dried onion flakes
  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese (I only used 1 cup)
  • 2 TBS chopped fresh parsley (makes it look pretty, but not necessary for the taste)
  1. Rub chicken breasts with seasoning salt (I used worchestershire sauce), cover and refridgerate for 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 350
  3. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until crisp, set aside. Saute mushrooms in bacon grease, remove and set aside. Place the chicken in the skillet and saute in bacon grease until browned (about 5 minutes per side). Remove from skillet and place the breasts into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  4. In a medium bowl, combine the mustard, honey, corn syrup, mayo, and dried onion flakes. Remove half of sauce, cover and refridgerate to serve later. Pour other half over chicken in baking dish. Layer with mushrooms and bacon. Sprinkle top with shredded cheese.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and chicken juices run clear. Garnish with parsley and serve with the reserved mustard sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment