Monday, August 20, 2012

Pancakes

I found a good kid-approved pancake recipe today.  Nothing too fancy or special, but they liked it.  I doubled the recipe to feed my herd of boys.

  • 3/4 Cup milk
  • 2 TBS white vinegar
  • 1 Cup flour
  • 2 TBS white sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 2 TBS butter, melted
  1. Combine milk and vinegar in a small bowl, set aside 5 minutes to allow milk to sour.
  2. Combine dry ingredients in separate, medium sized mixing bowl.  
  3. Whisk egg and melted butter into the soured milk.
  4. Pour the flour into wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.
  5. Heat large skillet over medium heat, and lightly grease.  Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto hot skillet.  When bubbles appear on the surface, flip with spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.  

I don't like using straight maple syrup because of the utter lack of protein in the meal.  The kids, even after eating 5 or 6 pancakes each, will be hungry by 9am unless I give them a little extra something.  So, in a microwave safe bowl I pour about 1 cup maple syrup (Just a fake maple syrup girl myself), then I add about 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter.  Cook on hi for about 30 seconds, stir together, and use that for syrup.  The kids will fill up faster, and it'll last longer in their little growing bodies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment